I had a flash of brilliance earlier for something I wanted to write about today. Unfortunately, I've now forgotten what it was. I hate that....
I'm continuing my quest to embrace imperfection this week, mostly because I don't feel like I adequately pondered on the concept last week. It's a really, really tough one for a perfectionistic, Type A, overachiever, and I happen to be one of those. I'm trying to get comfortable with the idea that imperfection happens, and I think for me the best way to accept that is by acknowledging that with imperfection (and mistakes even!) comes growth. I also find myself wondering if growth is even possible without imperfection....though that's probably a topic for another day. My gut says that it's not, and I know that I've learned plenty from my own episodes of imperfection. And it's not the act of being imperfect that is so difficult, really; it's accepting that imperfection is part of the journey and isn't a source of shame. Imperfection doesn't make us any less than what we are- if handled properly, it makes us more than what we've been.
Happiness/ Gratitude List, 1 July edition:
- Walking to work. Good for me, good for the environment. And it clears my head both before and after the stuff that goes on there.
- Realizing that I may actually be managing my money- rather than having it manage me- for the first time EVER. I'm still working on it, but I really am doing better.
- The 10 drops of rain that fell on me while I was walking home from work. I would have taken a real rainstorm but I enjoyed what little I got. I never cease to be amazed how cold the raindrops are with these summer storms.
- Trying a new recipe for supper. In truth, I wasn't a huge fan of what I made (I gave it a C+). But it's fun to experiment again, and it's not so bad that I won't eat the leftovers. I just won't be fixing it again. It does hurt my heart to not be passionate about a recipe that includes saffron.
- 20 minute power naps on the couch with a geriatric kitty. She purred, I power-napped. It was a great arrangement.
On to Wednesday....
----------------
Now playing: James McMurtry - Restless
via FoxyTunes