If there's nothing left to lose, if there's nothing left to use, if there's nothing left to burn

Okay, I missed that one week of TGIF thanks to an admission marathon we had going on at the Unit.  10 patients in 36 hours.  I wish I were lying.
I skipped this Friday semi-deliberately.  I was trying to coalesce some thoughts and was debating if they needed to go into the "traditional" TGIF structure or if it was time for some free-form rambling.  As you can likely guess, I'm taking option B- even though the content of this will be entirely consistent with the usual TGIF.

The last two weeks have been crazy-busy, even by my standards.  Clinical service felt like July (see above!)- I can't say it was ever totally out of control, but it was definitely steady with little time to sit or breathe.  As I told the residents, my goal was to stay less than 24 hours behind on my documentation at all times.  I only violated that twice.

In addition to the clinical madness, I'm coming out of the first two weeks of actually being in my new education roles.  The Track Director business for the 4th years I've been working on for a few months, but we actually started meeting last week.  And, of course, there's the clerkship and sub-internship.  I know, I spent almost all of June scrapping the clerkship and rebuilding it.  The sub-internship didn't need scrapping- I had no infrastructure to build upon, so I was starting from nothing.  I felt good about the things I designed and put into place, and my sense was that my ideas should work.  Granted, we're only two weeks in, but...so far they definitely seem to be working.  I've had to make some minor course corrections but so far there's been nothing that I've had to pull back and say, "Oops!  We shouldn't have done that!"  Being back in a position where I work regularly with the medical students has been nothing short of inspirational, even during those times when I've struggled to figure out how I'm going to get to where I need to be for them (somehow, it's always worked itself out so far).

It's too early in all of this to get terribly self-congratulatory. But I would be lying if I didn't say that it's felt like it's all working and that I'm exactly where I am supposed to be doing what I am supposed to be doing- the Universe has been pretty clear about that, and I'm grateful for it.  Quite honestly, that's the best feeling of all.


Now listening:  The Trishas "One Down"

Labels: